I’m not sure whether more people ask “Is God anti-gay?” or “Isn’t God anti-gay?” A lot may depend on the inflection in the question, but certainly the perception in popular culture is that God is probably anti-gay, or if nothing else his most zealous followers certainly are. To help cut through the tangle of questions surrounding this subject, Sam Allberry has written the short booklet Is God Anti-Gay? And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction. 1
As part of the Questions Christian Ask series by The Good Book Company, the target audience is Christians who are perhaps wondering if God really is anti-gay, and if so, what exactly that means. 2 Allberry writes as a pastor, but perhaps more importantly for this particular subject, he writes as a person who experiences consistent same-sex attractions. Rather than homosexuality being something out there, for Allberry, it is something he knows from the inside. This gives the whole volume a unique perspective, and I think strengthens the argument for the position Allberry ultimately takes.
In the course of the book, Allberry divides his material into five chapters. He first address what the Bible teaches about marriage and sex generally. With that foundation in place, he then turns to how the Bible address homosexuality specifically. Allberry faithfully articulates a Christian sexual ethic that accounts for the biblical data. The final three chapters then move outward in their discussion of how homosexuality relates first to the individual Christian, then the church, and then the world.
This book could easily be read in one sitting, though it would take much longer than that to really think through the issues Allberry addresses. In addition the subjects of each chapter, Allberry includes several sidebars answering the following questions:
- Is a same-sex partnership ok if it is committed and faithful?
- If Jesus never mentions homosexuality is it still wrong?
- Aren’t we just picking and choosing which OT laws apply?
- Can’t Christians just agree to differ on this?
- What should I do if a Christian comes out to me?
In it all, he answers clearly and succinctly and offers much wisdom, especially in regards to the last question. This book will be a valuable addition to any pastor’s library, but would also be useful reading for college students and anyone who is interested in concise answers to complicated questions like this.
- Author: Sam Allberry
- Title: Is God Anti-Gay? And other questions about homosexuality, the Bible and same-sex attraction
- Publisher: The Good Book Company (July 16, 2013)
- Paperback: 88pgs
- Reading Level: General Reader
- Audience Appeal: Anyone interested in hearing a case for biblical sexual ethics from someone who lives with same-sex attraction
- Gratis Review Copy: Yes (courtesy of The Good Book Company and CrossFocused Reviews)
Buy through Amazon to support Marturo!