Last week, we looked at my commentary recommendations on the Former Prophets. Today, we’ll move on in the Latter Prophets, which is basically Isaiah-Malachi minus Daniel and Lamentations. I’m treating the Minor Prophets under one heading mainly because most commentaries already combine books. If I were to list individual books, there would be a lot of redundancy with the best commentary on say, Haggai also being the best commentary on Malachi. Plus, in Hebrew they were considered one book anyway, and in doing so they become a work in comparable length and complexity to Isaiah, Jeremiah, or Ezekiel.
Just to reiterate, these are my preferences and what make up my library. There are definitely some great resources I’ve overlooked. What I’m trying to do here is give you what I typically look for, and in the case of individual books, what I think is the best 2 commentaries for a pastor to have on each (because I think you should have at least 2) and what is the best single commentary for the interested reader to pick up (who is maybe not a pastor). What I’m listing here is a) what commentaries I currently have and b) what commentaries I’m still tracking down (gradually and systematically).
The commentaries in bold are the ones I think are your best bet if you’re just going to get one.
Here’s our overview again:
- Old Testament Backgrounds
- The Pentateuch
- The Former Prophets
- The Latter Prophets (what you’re now reading)
- The Writings
- Special Studies/Miscellaneous Resources
- The Book of Isaiah (NICOT) by John Oswalt (in 2 volumes)
- The Prophecy of Isaiah by J. Alec Motyer (also see his TOTC volume for a shorter treatment)
- Isaiah (NIVAC) by John Oswalt
- Isaiah 1-39 and Isaiah 40-66 (NAC) by Gary V. Smith
- The Book of Jeremiah (NICOT) by J.A. Thompson
- Jeremiah and Lamentations (TOTC) by R.K. Harrison
- Jeremiah and Lamentations (NAC) by F.B. Huey Jr.
- The Book of Ezekiel (NICOT) by Daniel I. Block (in 2 volumes)
- Ezekiel (NIVAC) by Iain M. Duguid
- Ezekiel (NAC) by Lamar E. Cooper
- Hosea-Jonah (WBC) by Douglas Stuart
- Hosea, Joel (NAC) by Duane Garrett
- Hosea, Amos, Micah (NIVAC) by Gary V. Smith
- The Books of Joel, Obadiah, Jonah, and Micah (NICOT) by Leslie Allen
- Joel and Amos (TOTC) by David Allan Hubbard
- Obadiah, Jonah, Micah (TOTC) by T. Desmond Alexander, David Baker, and Bruce Waltke
- Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (NAC) by Kenneth Barker and Waylon Bailey
- The Books of Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah (NICOT) by O. Palmer Robertson
- Jonah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah (NIVAC) by James Bruckner
- Haggai and Malachi (NAC) by Richard Taylor and E. Ray Clendenden
- The Books of Haggai and Malachi (NICOT) by Pieter Verhoef
- Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi (TOTC) by Andrew Hill
- Haggai, Zechariah (NIVAC) by Mark Boda